As previously discussed, Jacob J. Wakefield served with the 146th Indiana Regiment during the Civil War. Although they were mustered into service late in the war, I thought it would interested to track their journey from Indianapolis to Baltimore. Below is a high-level map of their path to Baltimore:
The regiment began in Indianapolis and primarily worked guard and post duties for a short stretch of locations from Winchester, VA to Harper’s Ferry, WV, represented by the green location markers. Later the regiment was divided to work various locations in Maryland and Delaware, represented by the yellow location markers. The red marker’s indicate their final stops at the Indiana State House and Camp Carrington.
Information on the 146th as found on another researcher’s site:
According to ONE YEAR REGIMENTS OF 1865, the 146th left Indianapolis in March 11, 1865, under the command of Colonel Merit C. Welsh. It arrived in Harper’s Ferry, Virginia, on March 15. The regiment was then assigned to one of the provisional divisions of the Army of the Shenandoah. Until July 27, 1865, it was assigned post and guard duty at Charlestown, Winchester, Stevenson Station, Jordan’s Springs, and Summit Point, Virginia.
The regiment was then assigned to the Military District of Delaware with General Lockwood commanding. Companies were sent to Hick’s General Hospital, Baltimore; Havre De Grace, Dover, Wilmington and Salisbury in Delaware; and Easton, Maryland. On August 31, 1865, the regiment rejoined in Baltimore and was mustered out. The regiment was back in Indianapolis on September 8, 1865, and was welcomed with a reception held on the State House lawn. After marching to Camp Carrington, it was paid off and discharged.
From the Indiana Historical Society, information regarding Camp Carrington:
Camp Carrington was established as a Civil War camp in 1862 in Indianapolis. It was named for General Henry B. Carrington, who served as Colonel and Brigadier General in the Union Army. It was one of the largest of the twenty-four camps established during the war in the Indianapolis area, and was located between the Canal and Fall Creek near present-day 15th and Missouri Streets. When it originally opened it was known as Camp Murray. It replaced Camp Morton as the main training camp when Camp Morton was established as a POW camp. During the last year of the war practically all the Indiana regiments were organized there.