Posts tagged ‘Maryland’

May 8, 2012

1678 and 1681 Maryland Tax Lists

In the 1600s, the patriarchs of the southern branch of the Wakefields are found in various locations in and around the Chesapeake Bay area. Maryland tax records from 1678 and 1681 show Thomas Wakefield and Richard Wakefield paying tobacco-related taxes. Charles is present in both the 1678 and 1681 tax lists whereas Richard is only present in the 1681 tax list. Unfortunately, only the 1678 tax list includes the country of the person being taxed. As a result, only Thomas’s county of residence, Charles County, is known.

1678 Tax

The following information was extracted from the reference cited below. It should act as at least a partial census of Maryland for the year 1678 since all inhabitants were levied a tax of tobacco. The manner of determining the amount of the levy is unknown but appears to be based in part on the amount of land or property owned by the individual. Therefore, the relative size of the levy should give some indication of the wealth of the individual. The number appearing after each name is the levy assessed in pounds of tobacco.

The 1678 Tax List entry (Charles County):

Wakefeild, Thomas – 300

1681 Tax

The following information was extracted from the reference cited above. It should act as a partial census of Maryland for the year 1681 since all inhabitants were levied a tax of tobacco. The manner of determining the amount of the levy is unknown but appears to be based in part on the amount of land or propery owned by the individual. Therefore, the relative size of the levy should give some indication of the wealth of the individual. The number appearing after each name is the levy assessed in pounds of tobacco. It is apparent that some of the individuals in the list are being paid for services to the province.

The 1681 Tax List entries:

Wakefeild, Richd – 230

Wakefeild, Tho: – 200

May 7, 2012

Map of 146th Regiment’s Movement

As previously discussed, Jacob J. Wakefield served with the 146th Indiana Regiment during the Civil War. Although they were mustered into service late in the war, I thought it would interested to track their journey from Indianapolis to Baltimore. Below is a high-level map of their path to Baltimore:

The regiment began in Indianapolis and primarily worked guard and post duties for a short stretch of locations from Winchester, VA to Harper’s Ferry, WV, represented by the green location markers. Later the regiment was divided to work various locations in Maryland and Delaware, represented by the yellow location markers. The red marker’s indicate their final stops at the Indiana State House and Camp Carrington.

Information on the 146th as found on another researcher’s site:

According to ONE YEAR REGIMENTS OF 1865, the 146th left Indianapolis in March 11, 1865, under the command of Colonel Merit C. Welsh. It arrived in Harper’s Ferry, Virginia, on March 15. The regiment was then assigned to one of the provisional divisions of the Army of the Shenandoah. Until July 27, 1865, it was assigned post and guard duty at Charlestown, Winchester, Stevenson Station, Jordan’s Springs, and Summit Point, Virginia.

The regiment was then assigned to the Military District of Delaware with General Lockwood commanding. Companies were sent to Hick’s General Hospital, Baltimore; Havre De Grace, Dover, Wilmington and Salisbury in Delaware; and Easton, Maryland. On August 31, 1865, the regiment rejoined in Baltimore and was mustered out. The regiment was back in Indianapolis on September 8, 1865, and was welcomed with a reception held on the State House lawn. After marching to Camp Carrington, it was paid off and discharged.

From the Indiana Historical Society, information regarding Camp Carrington:

Camp Carrington was established as a Civil War camp in 1862 in Indianapolis. It was named for General Henry B. Carrington, who served as Colonel and Brigadier General in the Union Army. It was one of the largest of the twenty-four camps established during the war in the Indianapolis area, and was located between the Canal and Fall Creek near present-day 15th and Missouri Streets. When it originally opened it was known as Camp Murray. It replaced Camp Morton as the main training camp when Camp Morton was established as a POW camp. During the last year of the war practically all the Indiana regiments were organized there.